Theft in Vehicles
Hampstead has one of the lowest crime rates on the island but we do experience some minor crimes from time to time with the most common being thefts from vehicles. Our Public Security Department would like to remind the public of the following safety tips:
Use common sense when parking and exiting your vehicle:
- Close and lock all windows and doors when you park.
- Take your keys; don’t leave them in or on your vehicle.
- Take your garage door opener; don’t leave it in your vehicle.
- Park in well-lit areas – in a garage, if possible.
- Never leave valuables in your vehicle, and especially in sight.
- Activate the alarm system.
- If you have a camera surveillance system, point it to your front door and garage door.
Thieves want parts and valuable items, too:
Radios and wheel covers aren’t the only parts thieves take. They want whatever sells. Other popular items are GPS devices, phones, iPods, laptops, backpacks, sunglasses, and purses.
By following these helpful tips, you could avoid the unpleasant surprise of vehicle break-ins.
Should you need to report anything suspicious, please contact Public Security at 514 369-8200, ext. 8250 (24-hr dispatch).